Developing a World-Class Culture of Safety
At Pine Bluff Sand & Gravel, we never take safety for granted. Protecting our employees, and everyone we work with, is a responsibility we take very seriously. That’s why we make safety a top priority at each stage in our process. In fact, we have an entire culture of safety built on an innovative set of safety principles and processes:
- Get in front of an incident
- Submit good catches to the Good Catch Process
Take the Time to Be Safe
- Daily safety huddles to plan for the day
- Time outs during the day to address hazards of a specific task, everyone has authority to call a "time-out"
The Right Mindset
- We have tool sets, skills sets and mindsets, but a safety mindset is the most important
- Focus on the positive and learn from the negative – "Plant grass. Don’t pull weeds."
Focus on the Task
- Eliminate mental clutter and avoid distractions
- "Be where your feet are!"
- What is talked about expands
- "Lead with safety"
Be Accountable for Yourself and Your Team
- Safety is everyone’s responsibility
- "If you see it, own it!"
Make Continuous Improvements
- Make a deliberate effort to fight complacency
- Never be finished with safety – practice, practice, practice